Saturday, July 14, 2012

June 29, 2012

Welcome to Peru! 
My first morning in Lima Peru was a personal experience.   I had a morning to myself.  I skipped breakfast and hit the streets to walk around and see what was close to my hotel.  Right across the street was a bazaar type market.  Walking around the market I was greeted in Spanish and invited in to see the good the store contained.  Not really in a purchasing mood I just took my time and window shopped.
I made it back to my hotel by 11:30 to wait for Claudia who works at El Molina University and GLOBE.  Today I learned about GLOBE and how ASU and I could be involved.  Right at noon Claudia and Heather arrived at the hotel to pick me up.  We quickly caught a taxi and headed to downtown Lima to eat lunch.
We arrived at Rustica right before it opened.  This is considered a very authentic Peruvian restaurant.  I was not disappointed.  I was able to try a little of everything since this was a buffet style restaurant.  While I can’t tell you everything I ate,  I can say I did try cows blood which is a mixture of beef in a blood sauce.  I remember this well as it was NOT my favorite.  With lunch I had my first Pisco Sour of this trip, 2012.  The restaurant was totally full by the time we left.
We left the restaurant and walked toward what Claudia called a special bridge.  This is a bridge called lover’s bridge because this is where many proposals occur.  The tradition for this bridge is to hold your breath and walk across the bridge before exhaling.  The two younger girls ran across.  I on the other hand took my time and demonstrated lung power.  Once on the other side you exhale and make a wish. 
On our way to the ocean I enjoyed watching the colorful birds play in the trees.  I can't imagine having a day without enjoying a little bird  watching.  
                                                                                                                                                                            As we made our way towards the ocean we stopped at this old church that is no longer in use.  The birds have taken over parts of the roof where holes now allow them cover from the elements.   Most of the churches in Peru display the Spanish architecture and influence.
The walkway to the ocean is a beautifully lined street with lots of trees, flowers and quaint shops. 


 Inviting smells from cute restuarants tickled our senses luring us in for samples.  Cookies, pasteries, chocolates, teas .....   we sampled it all. 

We made our way to the ocean.  The salt air smelled so good and the cool breeze was welcoming.  We followed the sounds of live music to a nice little patio over looking the ocean.  The patio was lined with vendors selling their jewelry, paintings and musical instruments. 
From the ocean we headed up toward the Mira Flora square where most of the churches and government buildings.
The museum's, churches, government buildings represent the Spanish influence in Peru.                 






After all of our running around we decided to head to the water park  Now my idea of a water park was not what the water park ended up being.  For $4 you could spend hours in this park enjoying a picnic, water displays set to music with the colored lights changing the mood and feel.  Families strolled through the park, kids ran through the water and hot peanuts and cotton candy smells filled the air.
Inside a tunnel of water.  If you are wondering if i got wet,  just a little bit.

1 comment: